The printer does not print documents and you get the Printer driver is not available Error in Windows 11. This error usually means the printer driver is missing, corrupted, or not recognized by the computer. Again, there are several other reasons that can cause printer not working or not responding in Windows 11. This type of error is quite common in HP printers, although it can also occur in different brands and bad drivers or corrupted files. Windows system are the main ones. reason behind this. Here in this article, we have prepared a bunch of solutions to fix the problem and restore print function again in Windows 11.
What is a printer driver?
The main reason behind the Printer driver not available error It’s the printer driver that isn’t working properly, so it’s important to know what a printer driver is. It is a small program or software program that allows communication between your computer (Windows 11) and the printer. The printer driver allows your computer to understand the hardware specifications and details of the printer, and is also responsible for translating print job data into signals that the printer can understand. If the printer driver is outdated or incompatible with the current version of Windows, it may not work as expected and the printer may not print with various errors.
And you can run the printer troubleshooters, try to update the printer driver or install the latest printer driver from the manufacturer’s site or repair corrupted system files and install the latest Windows updates to fix printer problems. the printer in Windows 11.
How to fix printer driver not available error?
You can fix this printer driver not available error message in a number of ways, even a quick reboot might resolve it. Let’s first restart your PC and power cycle the printer and try to print a document.
The next thing to check is that the printer cable is properly connected between the printer and your computer’s port, or connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your device.
Also, check for paper jams. Try removing the paper tray, realign the paper, and slide it back in.
Run the printer troubleshooter
Whenever you print a problem on your computer, the first thing you need to do is run the related troubleshooter. Running the printer troubleshooter automatically detects problems with the printer or its driver and related services and settings and tries to fix them. Let’s run the troubleshooter and let Windows fix the problem for you.
- Press Windows Key + X and select settings from the context menu,
- Navigate to the system tab, click on troubleshoot and then other troubleshooters,
- this will bring up a list of available troubleshooters, locate the printer and click Run next to it,
- Select the printer causing the problem, click next and follow the instructions on the screen,
- The printer troubleshooter will start looking for problems and will try to fix them automatically.
Install all Windows updates
Installing the latest Windows Updates and keeping your system up to date is essential to ensure that your PC has the latest security, stability, and usability fixes. If there is a critical Windows bug that is causing the printer error, Microsoft may have a bug fix for this with recent Windows updates. If you haven’t updated your system in a while, be sure to do it first.
- Press Windows Key + X and select settings from the context menu,
- Browse Windows update and then hit the Check for updates button on the right side,
- If there are pending updates, allow them to be downloaded and installed on your computer,
- Also click on advanced options, expand the driver updates section,
- Check if there are any pending driver updates there and click download and install.
- Once this is done, restart your computer to apply the changes.
Update your printer driver
As discussed above, if you have an older printer driver installed on your computer, it could be the main reason behind the printer driver not available error message on your Windows 11 PC.
Doing so updates the files that help the printer communicate with the computer.
- do a quick Google search for the make and model of your printer, and download the latest driver from your printer manufacturer’s support website.
- Now open device manager using devmgmt.msc or using windows key + X
- This will show all devices and peripherals connected to your computer,
- Locate and expand the Printers section, right-click on the printer and select Update Driver.
- Select Browse my computer for drivers and locate the printer driver you downloaded.
follow the instructions on the screen to install the latest printer driver.
Also, you can choose to Search for drivers automatically. Follow the instructions in the wizard if you find a driver update.
Reinstall your printer driver
Another possible cause of this error could be that your existing driver is damaged and needs to be replaced. Let’s try removing the problematic driver files that may be causing the “Driver is not available” error and reinstalling it to resolve the issue. You can reinstall the printer driver with Device Manager
This removes any problematic files that may be causing the “Driver is not available” error.
Device Manager is a built-in Windows tool that allows you to view and control the hardware connected to your computer and update device drivers.
- Press Windows Key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click OK to open the device manager,
- Find the expanded printer category, right-click the installed printer, and select Uninstall device.
- Check Delete the driver software for this device and click Uninstall.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes, and Windows should install the correct driver for you.
Or you can visit the device manufacturer to download the latest printer driver for Windows 11 and install it on your computer.
Use generic printer drivers
Microsoft offers generic printer drivers to use when the current ones don’t work in Windows 11. If the above solution doesn’t fix the problem, let’s use generic printer drivers to fix “The driver is not available” error and print your documents.
- Press Windows Key + X and select device manager,
- Locate and expand the Print Queues section, right-click your printer, and select Update Driver.
- Select the second option Browse my computer for drivers, and then choose Let me choose from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Now select the generic software device and choose Next and restart your PC to apply the driver.
Check for corrupt system files
There may be a problem with your system files that is preventing printer software and applications from working properly. Yes, corrupted system files can trigger various printer issues including driver error. If the above methods fail to fix the problem, then you should repair system files using SFC and DISM tool.
- Press Windows Key + S and type cmd, right click on command prompt, select run as administrator,
- Writes sfc /scan now and press the enter key to execute the command,
- This will scan all protected system files and replace the corrupted files with a cached copy found in a zipped folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- then the DISM command DISM /online /cleanupimage /restorehealth
- Once the scan is complete, restart your PC and try to print a document.
Usually, it is a problem with the printer driver that is showing The printer driver is not available error in Windows 11. In addition to updating or reinstalling the printer driver, we recommend restart the print spooler service Also, which helps to fix most of the printer issues in Windows 11.
Did the above solutions help fix Printer driver not available error in windows 11? Let us know in the comments below.